CC Meeting 8/6/2012
Attendees: Pat, Clovis, Patrick, Joseph, Jana Cook, Kate, Dresden, Kelley, Bonobo, Prost, Sparky, Izzi, Trevor, George, Brisket, Thomas, Brently, Breezy, Brent, Tom, Mark Schade, Gyesika Safety, Psyche
CC code of conduct overview for attendees who have never attended before.
-no trash talking
-decorum and twinkling
-time limits this week? Heated conversation potential, three minutes per speaker, try to log total time spent on discussion for each topic
-Flipside is nearing, things are happening. New AFs are being picked.
-New Volunteer Coordinator is Gyesika Safety she has accepted the position. Ava is helping her transition into the role.
-We have been trying to get a burner event coordinator meeting going (meeting of people who run other events in Texas). We were able to pull this off last Saturday, Dallas community organizers and Freezer Burn organizers came for an 8 hour meeting. Methods were shared, what might help deal with problems the different communities have in common. This was not LLC event, it was for and run by everybody. Extremely beneficial, productive meeting.
-Learned how to share ideas, resources, and volunteers, shared ideas on how to make events run more smoothly.
-Invited Otherside, Orfunner, Regional Contacts in Dallas, Denton, and El Paso, Burning Man RCs were there. Talked about calendaring methods and trends observed with events.
-Working to not overlap each other accidentally, and how to not have each group reinventing the wheel in terms of methods and problem-solving.
-FreezerBurn coordinators had a lot of questions, and the lines of communication are open there.
-First time we have spent a significant amount of time with Myschievia LLC.
-We are hoping to have another meeting planned after the beginning of the next year.
-Time to think beyond just Austin and Flipside
-One common problem organizers are dealing with is what it takes to get insurance for events. Standardized safety information to send to insurers may help, things like that.
10 minutes for LLC Update
-Burning Man meet and greet Thursday August 9th from 8:00 to 10:00pm for newbies to the playa to meet veterans and people going this year.
-Izzi says her first year she went to that meeting and found it very helpful to coordinate planning with other first-timers.
-Emergency Services has produced a video for newbies to the Playa, and Innuendo’s video is also being used with "Flipside" bleeped out.
•Old business overview:
-Prost EAST action item redux: trying to get organized for EAST committee. Documents will be reviewed and ready to send one week from today. Clovis and Pat are also on that committee. Prost, Clovis, Pat action item: review EAST documents and have them ready to send one week from today.
-Clovis re: Rodney staying on the CC, he agreed he is an inactive member.
-Pat talked to Nobo: He says he is an inactive member.
-Patrick talked to Ava, she is inactive. Cannot talk to Ghost at this time.
-Joseph is going to survey female members to see if there is difficulty retaining them and what to do if it is a problem. One week to close that off. Joe action item: CC Diversity report.
-Recent social media situations have made it clear that it would be a good idea if there was an official online presence.
-Discussions of an online presence have combined with discussions about how to make the CC more effective, maybe CC should have its own social media presence.
-Some communication on social media should not be mixed with official communications, separate accounts and standards, etc. Discussion could be allowed, but could be moderated.
-George is personally interested in getting community feedback about having an official social media presence
-How does this relate to other social media issues that have happened lately? We need to have that discussion as well, but by the end of tonight wants to have an idea of whether we should move forward with an official presence.
-Pat thinks FB page, Twitter account, Google group, probably run by Communications AF, keep it simple and not have separate CC/LLC presences.
-Sparky: Currently have other means of communication that we use (lists for events and announce), these are heavily moderated and restricted by agreements not to spam and not to go off topic. We also list and chat, which are unmoderated. Not everyone is getting their information through email anymore. We need to reach volunteer base first, and community at large second.
-Patrick: Email lists are not effective communicating to everyone. Suggests something between announce and list to start with in terms of contact level and frequency. Facebook and Twitter are heavy on update frequency anyway, but we do not want to spam and overload people. Not replacing lists, but supplementing them.
-Kate: We should be on Facebook as an official presence, if we do not, we are letting other people speak on our behalf. People can be made admins as needed, all information put out is linked and sent out via email/website. When people post, they should identify themselves and their position. The Flipizens page can remain a hangout and what it already is.
-Joe: The CC having its own FB was brought up to give the community a way to more easily communicate with us. I can understand not wanting to have a lot of pages, but if we have one we will have to have a subset of people who work with communications to interact and distribute information.
-Patrick: Most people do not know what the CC is, they know what Flipside is, and the CC page may be lost and ignored, especially by newbies.
-Pat: For messages that go to Facebook page, there will need to be a dissemination process, whether an individual or group of people.
-George: Maybe the Flipside page is the locked-down announce only page, or highly moderated. More visible communication than an email to the CC, etc.
-Kate: the reason that the FB is more popular is smartphones, can be checked anywhere.
-Clovis: How many people saw Kate's CC announcement on FB? (about half)
-Scott: Easy way to handle two-way communication page having the page be a post-only page with a message telling people to message what they want to be posted.
-Sparky: I had a concern about there being too many Flipside pages out there and where do we get all of the right information, he has had a change of heart. He sees the need for an announce like FB page, there will be possibly two official FB pages. One for dialog, one for announcements/LLC communications. Is there a way to put instructions out there for people to learn to use the page? Kate: An “About” page, and other ways. Would be useful for education and etiquette.
-Princess: Likes having one official place to reduce the confusion of what's official and what's not. You do need to limit posters and comments should be moderated. Better visible than all through messages others can't see.
-Tom: One page that is kind of like announce that people cannot comment on unless they are approved, is that what's on the table? That makes sense to me but there could be issues, because if you can comment, you can essentially post. In order for it to be effective, we need that kind of functionality, the ability to comment and interact.
-Thomas: Whatever we decide the plan should make it very clear what the page is for and what the expectations are. The rules at Flipside and how we engage with each other there are way more loose and free than in the default world, which includes Facebook and the warehouse. If there is an official page, there is an expectation by some that they can act by the Flipside rules in more default world settings. The online tone must be carefully controlled.
-Pat: A non-interactive page would look terrible, and not go over well at all. Admin would have be 24/7 position and be a pain.
-Patrick: We need to get away from we own everything on this page/email list mindset. On Twitter you cannot do that, it cannot be turned off. We need to not think about controlling, but use it as a method for people to communicate with us.
-Sexton: Wants to see two pages, one post-only, no one gets to post but admins. Does not think comments should be allowed. Sees a lot of wiggle room in the comments policy for trolling. Wants to see one where the community can interact and have a dialog and comment.
-Joe: I'm hearing a lot of one page/two page discussion. Are we are all in agreement that we need to have a social media presence? We don't have to reinvent the wheel, we can look at how other events do it. Burning Man has several. We will not nail down exactly how to do it tonight, we will need representation from communication AF, CC, and LLC to enact this and hash it out.
-George: Couple of questions to look at: permissions, and is there a way to pre-moderate? (no) I think if we have a post-only FB page, then we need to have a dialog-based CC page, because the CC exists for dialog. If we use a dialog-enabled Flipside page, the CC may not need a separate page. I know we won't resolve it tonight but I am curious where people stand. FB can be one-stop place for information. Wants an official Twitter account for the immediate communication.
-Thomas: We have Twitter and Facebook accounts on the table, let's break out and work out specifics so we can work with the new communication AF.
-Sparky: I am confused, I thought I was only one in favor of one page, I think it all boils down to the devil in the details, we need a subcommittee of interested parties with LLC, CC, Communications membership, some community members. I would like to state as a reminder we have had this policy about announce list, and I do not know if we want that to go away or not because of a promise we have made to the community. This is an important decision.
-Psyche: Motion for subcommittee for social media presence. Big proponent of two pages, thinks it will cut down on the confusion of the Flipizens page. May make three pages, but people can deal. Less cross-announcing will help newer people.
-Sparky: Amended subcommittee motion to include equal number of CC and LLC, a member of the communications team, and one or two community members vetted by the CC. Pat seconds amendment. Patrick opposes volunteering communications team without representation at the meeting. Motion updated to include "possibly member of comm team if they are willing”. Two CC, two LLC, one communications team member if they are willing, and one or two community members. George will chair committee, George agrees.
-Motion seconded. No opposition, all agree.
-Prost suggests committee would poll the community for feedback.
-Pat: There should be simple way to explain the policies for posting to the Facebook page. Does not like the idea of announce only Facebook page.
-Tom: On unofficial page Flipizens, we had people posting inaccurate information, no way to tell who is official or not, committee should be thinking of that problem.
Redux: George will chair. Meetings will be done remotely. It will be done reasonably soon and often. Couple of meetings over the next couple of weeks. We don't know status of communications team. Subcommittee consists of: George (Chair), Izzi, Thomas, Kate, Brent, Casey is interested, communications team member to be determined later. LLC membership to be determined, as two members were unable to be present tonight.
This whole topic, only two people have gone over two minutes, one person went over three minutes. No total on time. Target 40 minutes for future discussions.
-Proposed dates. 8/20, 9/10, 9/24, 10/1, 10/15, and 10/29
- Clovis: Suggests maybe 9/17 instead
-Art early entry
-Art redux (Gyesika)
-Townhall agenda (Prost)
-Townhall prep: Flame and other communications (Prost)
-Fire safety and protocol (Sparky)
-Social media subcommittee follow up (George)
-Subcommittee feedback for diversity findings (Joe)
-Decide whether we are having another sustainability meeting. (Tom)
If you have ownership of a meeting or topic, do a brief write up and send it out.
Facebook notification of next meeting and save the date will be posted to Facebook.
Future meetings topic schedule:
-Townhall prep and agenda (Prost). We need the 24/7/364 lead at that meeting.
-CC Diversity report (Joe)
-Social Media proposal (George)
-Tickets (with rollover to the 24th)
-Townhall walk through
-Planning sustainability meeting. (Tom)
-Townhall wrap up
-Art redux (Gyesika)
-Fire safety and protocol (Sparky)
-No topics scheduled yet
Next Meeting August 20, 2012
Scribe: (Casey is not available 8/20 due to one-time pre-scheduled scuba class)
-Townhall preparation and agenda (Prost)
-CC diversity report (Joe)
•Prost, Clovis, Pat action item: review EAST documents and have them ready to send one week from today.
•Joe action item: CC Diversity report.
•Prost action item: Townhall preparation and agenda.