Sanctuary is geared toward supporting the burn community's psychological well-being. We are staffed by volunteers who are coached in providing counseling to the Flipizens of Pyropolis. Our services are gifted to participants that are disoriented, grieving, and mentally or physically fatigued. We allow a place of temporary asylum, where burners can find their fun again, and then take on the city anew.
The Sanctuary Lead is charged with recruiting, training, scheduling, and coordinating. The chosen lead should have a background in counseling and possess excellent social assessment skills.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Volunteering with this organization and gifting your time to your community comes with perks. Not only will you be creating a better Pyropolis, you will be given the opportunity to work alongside other participants who have taken up the reins in making Flipside happen. You will also be offered a Sanctuary T-shirt, an official Burning Flipside laminated badge with your picture on it, a sticker/patch, and other goodies.
No mental health experience is necessary. Each Sanctuary shift is six hours long. Each volunteer is required to work two shifts. Shift staffing ranges from five to seven volunteers per shift.
Here's a quick guide to Sanctuary's infrastructure.
- Lead - The manager. (On call throughout the event)
- Assistant Lead - The assistant manager. (On call throughout the event)
- Mental Health Admins - The MHAs are licensed mental health professionals called upon to deal with escalation issues, involving major safety risks; Wild Card or Inner Sanctum, etc. (24 hr shift)
- TREEs - The Resident Experienced Expert is a shift lead. There are 8 shift leads. (12 hr straight shift)
- Bushes - Or listeners, will provide the majority of the counseling to clients that are admitted. If all the listeners are occupied, a TREE will step in and act as a listener. There's 25+ listeners staffed throughout the event. (two 6 hr shifts, 12 hrs total)
- Seeds - Lost wild dandelion seeds! These are the clients. We usually receive between 30-40 cases a year.
Volunteers may be asked to use a radio during their shift to be in touch with their shift lead, Pyropolis Emergency Team (PETs) and Rangers.
Each volunteer will be required to attend a training session. This session can be done at our Safety training retreat, Safetycide, which is held March 23rd-25th at Apache Pass. Training can also be held online.
Bring all the positive and wonderful energy you can muster and share that with those who could really use a boost.
Other Entities/Leads with Whom the Lead Likely Will Collaborate
Rangers and PETs
Volunteer to Help the Sanctuary Lead
This department does not have a volunteer wiki page. You can find out more information about volunteering in this department by contacting the lead.
Current Sanctuary Lead
- 2013 Reina
- 2012 Bunny
- 2011 Gyesika
- 2010 Gyesika
- 2007 Katie "Firefly"
- 2006 Katie "Firefly"
- 2005 Ryan Hayes