We interrupt your usual awareness to bring you the following Special Announce! There are a couple of time-sensitive things you should know about, so read on…
Stay tuned to the Flipside Flame, the Announce email list, and the official Burning Flipside Facebook Page. Remember, if you have something you’d like to contribute to the Flame or Announce, use Flipside Flame/Announce Submission page to send it in. Announce tends to be at the beginning of the month, and Flames usually get published around the middle of the month. Get me the info at least a week before then, and I’ll do my best to get your contribution included.
Ticket Window Closing FRIDAY
The official ticket window closes January 22, 2016. If you haven’t created a profile for yourself yet, go and get one at profiles.burningflipside.com. After you have your profile completed (or if you have one already), got to secure.burningflipside.com to find the Ticket Request/Transfer link.
Lloyd the Warehouse Clean-up
Spring (is it really spring already!?!) Town Hall is upon us February 6th! Please come help clean up the new warehouse before we fill it with all your smiling faces!
When: Saturday, January 30th, starting @ 11am
Where: The Warehouse, 3106 Industrial Terrace
Goal: to move a large part of what is downstairs to its final resting place on the newly finished mezzanine!
See you there!
Seriously. Call for Sticket Designs
Hey Flipizens! Would you like two free tickets to Flipside 2016?
And did you know that designing the art for the ticket or the sticker is actually the only way to get TWO free tickets to Flipside?!? Leads, volunteers, even LLC members, pay for their tickets.
Design the Flipside ticket or sticker and submit your design today! The person who submits the winning STICKER design will get TWO free tickets to Flipside 2016. The person who submits the winning TICKET design will also receive TWO free tickets to Flipside 2016.
Keep in mind all designs must be original. No clip art, and positively NO copywritten material may be used. The designs can be created digitally or by hand. You must follow the specifications listed below, or your design could be disqualified.
So break out your pen, marker, crayon or stylus and get the ideas flowing. Hand-drawn submissions are perfectly fine, but must be delivered before the deadline: 10 pm Friday January 29, 2016.
Submit your designs or any questions to Rufus & SuzyQ at
We will positively confirm every submission we receive, so if you do not receive a confirmation within a few days, please email us back, and we will confirm receipt.
Burning Flipside will do its best to include all submitted designs, in some form of hype, the survival guide, or the website, so your art should get seen. When you submit you are implicitly giving permission for us to use your design – on the ticket or sticker, on the Burning Flipside website, or in the Survival Guide. If for some reason you do not want to give this permission, please specify that when you submit. Also please indicate how you would like your art to be credited.
TICKET Design Details:
Please include the following information within your Ticket design:
May 26-30, 2016
Please do not post or display your ticket design anywhere else until after the contest ends. (The artist for the winning ticket design will be asked to refrain from posting it anywhere until after the event.)
- Artwork should be 2.375 x 4.375 inches.
- 1/8 inch all around WILL BE CUT OFF creating a final size of 2.125 x 4.125 – this extra space is called bleed.
- Artwork should be CMYK.
- Artwork should be supplied at 100% as either vector based art (Illustrator or Inkscape) or at 300dpi if it is a Photoshop file.
- If Photoshop – .tif, .eps, .psd and .jpeg files are preferred. Please save jpeg files with “maximum quality”.
Tips for successful reproduction of your design:
- Do not place text too close to the edge of your design. It should be 1/8″ in on either side once the artwork is trimmed. Pick fonts that will be easy to read and try to not use a font that is really thin on a dark background. It will “plug-up” and be hard to read.
- Do not get too complex, it is often easier to create artwork at a larger size and reduce it down. Keep in mind what it will look like at the smaller size.
- If you create your art in layers, be sure and save that layered file just in case the printer needs anything altered – this will make it easier on them and you.
STICKER Design Details:
Please include at least the following information within your Sticker design:
- Sticker Art should cover a 2.5″ circle at 300dpi.
- Make your design simple! Intricate and super-fine lines (less than 1-pt) tend to dry up in the screen and will not show up on the sticker. (For your reference, 1pt lines are roughly the same size as what a medium ball point pen will draw. It is a good idea to keep important elements of your artwork at least 1/8″ from the edge of the sticker to allow for cutting. Serifed fonts can be a nightmare – especially at small point sizes. Set all type to at LEAST 10 points.)
- In the past we’ve only printed black and white stickers, or another color and white. Grayscale or gradients are a real pain and don’t print very well, so try to stick to solid colors. All halftones are screened at 55 lpi.
We look forward to seeing the designs as they come in. It is an incredible outpouring from this intensively creative community! It’s a pleasure to serve as your sticket team.
If you have any questions, just let us know.
Your Flipside 2016 Sticker/Ticket Selection Team,
Rufus + SuzyQ
Combustion Chamber Meetings
The final January CC meeting of 2016 is coming up.
The Combustion Chamber is an advisory committee to the Austin Artistic Reconstruction LLC to facilitate community input & transparency for the policy-making process and organization of burn community events. CC meetings each start at 7:42 pm at the Warehouse. Special topics are as follows:
- LLC/Regionals/AF Updates
- Kids, Families, Policies, and Culture, Safety
Have a topic you believe the community needs to discuss? Please send suggestions to us at
Please keep in mind that we discuss community and policy issues, not operational ones.
Spring Town Hall: NO!
Come see your friends, make some new ones, and learn all the ways you can participate.
Spread the Word! Tell Your Friends! Notify Your Camp mates!
Spring Town Hall
Saturday, February, 6, 2016
At Lloyd the Warehouse
3106 Industrial Terrace
Austin, TX 78758