The Combustion Chamber advocates for the Burning Flipside community and its principles in creating policy recommendations, by fostering an open forum to exchange ideas and information between Catalyst Collective (CatCol) board and the community at large.
The CC is an advisory committee to CatCol to facilitate community input & transparency for the policy-making process and organization of burn community events. To make it clear what this means, the following terms have specific meaning to our organizational body:
- The CC is not a policy making body, but advises CatCol on policies for the event. The CatCol board has final decision making authority for all policies that affect events sponsored by CatCol.
- Community Input
- CatCol values the input of the community, but has struggled to effectively gather and get feedback from the community on issues related to Flipside (growth, event policies, etc). The CC is focused on gathering objective and factual community input to aid CatCol in decision making.
- The CC facilitates communication with the community, but is not the only avenue for communication. The CC will proactively seek communication on issues that have been identified (by CatCol, the CC, or the community at large) as needing community input.
- The CC makes a commitment to conduct itself as an open-book organization, providing meeting minutes, documentation for its recommendations to CatCol, open meetings, and clear communication about the policy making process and its results.
- Burn Community Events
- Events sponsored by CatCol including Flipside, Town Hall meetings, and events held on property rented by CatCol.
Some of the things the Combustion Chamber is not:
- The CC is not a group of managers for the volunteers. The CC is composed of community members who may have roles as volunteer leads or volunteers at events in addition to being a member of the CC.
- The CC is not a policy making body. The CatCol board is the final authority on policy related to events. The CC advises on these policies.
- The CC is not the only way to communicate to CatCol or the volunteer leads. Anyone in our community is welcome to communicate with CatCol or anyone else in the organization.
- The CC is not a black box. Anyone is welcome to come to our meetings. We will run these meetings in an open format that will give people time to speak and address issues. The only requirement is to ask for scheduled time if you intend to address a specific issue.
Thank you, Combustion Chamber