We interrupt your usual awareness to bring you the following Flame!
There are a couple of time-sensitive things you should know about, so read on…
Stay tuned to the Flipside Flame, the Announce email list, and the official Burning Flipside Facebook Page. Remember, if you have something you’d like to contribute to the Flame or Announce, use Flipside Flame/Announce Submission page to send it in. Announce tends to be at the beginning of the month, and Flames usually get published around the middle of the month. Get me the info at least a week before then, and I’ll do my best to get your contribution included.
Ticket Window Closing FRIDAY
The official ticket window closes January 20, 2017. If you haven’t created a profile for yourself yet, go and get one at profiles.burningflipside.com. After you have your profile completed (or if you have one already), got to secure.burningflipside.com to find the Ticket Request/Transfer link.
FINAL Call for Sticket Designs
Would you like free tickets to Flipside 2017: Unicorns vs. Rainbows: The Reckoning?
And did you know that designing the ticket or the sticker is actually the only way to get free tickets to Flipside?!? Leads, volunteers, even LLC members, pay for their tickets.
Design the Flipside ticket or sticker and submit your design today! The person who submits the winning STICKER design will get TWO free tickets to Flipside 2017. The person who submits the winning TICKET design will also receive TWO free tickets to Flipside 2017.
Keep in mind all designs must be original. No clip art, and no copy written material may be used. The designs can be created digitally or by hand.
So break out your pen, marker, crayon or stylus and get the ideas flowing. Hand-drawn submissions are perfectly fine, but must be delivered before the deadline: 10 pm Monday January 30, 2017.
Submit your designs or any questions at https://www.burningflipside.com/contact
We will positively confirm every submission we receive, so if you do not receive a confirmation within a few days, please email us back, and we will confirm receipt.
Please do not post or display your Ticket or Sticker design anywhere else until after the contest ends. (The artist for the winning ticket design will be asked to refrain from posting it anywhere until after the event.)
Burning Flipside will do its best to include all submitted designs, in some form of hype, the survival guide, or the website, so your art should get seen. When you submit you are implicitly giving permission for us to use your design – on the ticket or sticker, on the Burning Flipside website, or in the Survival Guide. If for some reason you do not want to give this permission, please specify that when you submit. Also please indicate how you would like your art to be credited.
TICKET Design Details
Please include the following information within your Ticket design:
- Burning Flipside
- Unicorns vs. Rainbows: The Reckoning
- May 25-29, 2017
Keep these things in mind:
- Artwork should be 2.375 x 4.375 inches.
- 1/8 inch all around WILL BE CUT OFF creating a final size of 2.125 x 4.125 – this extra space is called bleed.
- Artwork should be CMYK.
- Artwork should be supplied at 100% as either vector based art (illustrator or freehand) or at 300dpi if it is a Photoshop file.
- If Photoshop – .tif, .eps, .psd and .jpeg files are preferred. Please save jpeg files with “maximum quality”.
Tips for successful reproduction of your design:
- You must pay attention to specs, or you could be disqualified.
- Do not place text too close to the edge of your design. It should be 1/8″ in on either side once the artwork is trimmed. Pick fonts that will be easy to read and try to not use a font that is really thin on a dark background. It will “plug-up” and be hard to read.
- Do not get too complex, it is often easier to create artwork at a larger size and reduce it down. Keep in mind what it will look like at the smaller size.
- If you create your art in layers, be sure and save that layered file just in case the printer needs anything altered – this will make it easier on them and you.
STICKER Design Details
Please include at least the following information within your Sticker design:
- Flipside 2017
Tips for successful reproduction of your design:
- Submit in black and white (or another color and white). But not multiple colors for the sticker.
- Sticker Art should cover a 2.5″ circle at 300dpi.
- Make your design simple! Intricate and super-fine lines (less than 1-pt) tend to dry up in the screen and will not show up on the sticker. For your reference, 1pt lines are roughly the same size as what a medium ball point pen will draw. It is a good idea to keep important elements of your artwork at least 1/8″ from the edge of the sticker to allow for cutting. Serifed fonts can be a nightmare – especially at small point sizes. Set all type to at LEAST 10 points.
- In the past we’ve only printed black and white stickers. Grayscale or gradients are a real pain and don’t print very well, so try to stick to solid colors. If you want to submit a two or three color image, that’s fine and it will be reviewed, but (depending on cost) it may end up being converted into black and white. All halftones are screened at 55 lpi.
Have fun! good luck! We look forward to seeing the designs as they come in. It is an incredible outpouring from this intensively creative community! It’s a pleasure to serve as your STicket team.
If you have any questions, just let us know at
Your Flipside 2017 Sticker/Ticket Selection Team
Combustion Chamber Updates
The Combustion Chamber recently put out a call for new members, and we have one nominee. We’d love community feedback on our candidate! If you know them, or you’ve worked with them before, feel free to tell us what your experiences with them are, and whether or not you’d feel comfortable with them representing your community — Our Community.
The candidate is:
The Combustion Chamber AND
The final January CC meeting of 2017 is coming up.
The Combustion Chamber is an advisory committee to the Austin Artistic Reconstruction LLC to facilitate community input & transparency for the policy-making process and organization of burn community events. CC meetings each start at 7:42 pm at the Warehouse. Special topics are as follows:
- Town Hall Walkthrough
- Review the Spring Town Hall agenda and the committed speakers
- Identify any last-minute action items that need to be resolved
Do you have a topic you believe the community needs to discuss?
Please send suggestions at
Please keep in mind that we discuss community and policy issues, not operational ones.
Leave No Trace – Keeping Flipside MOOP-free
Hello from the 2016 Burning Flipside Clean Up Lead! As part of our Leave No Trace beliefs and desires to maintain a sustainable event, we create a MOOP (Matter Out Of Place) map to provide to the community an account of how we did.
I am happy to say that as usual, we did a good job overall at leaving the land a better place than we found it.
Because 2016 Clean Up operations were delayed due to weather, a complete accounting could not be accomplished in full at that time. Thus, the Flipside 2016 MOOP Map was produced. On Tuesday, May 31st, 2016, the day after Memorial Day 2016, the Cleanup Lead took a long walk in sweeping patterns across the land with a laminated city planning map, markers, pen, and paper. Every time he saw MOOP, he marked its approximate location on the map, and then logged the approximate location’s grid coordinate/camp number, and brief description of the item. The results of this are presented here.
Each yellow dot on the MOOP map represents one item found and one row in the spreadsheet describing that item. There is one red dot in area P6, next to the Oxbow Lake, that represents what appeared to be a Black Water dump by a rental RV.
Again, due to the incomplete accounting, a yellow dot does not mean that a camp performed LNT poorly, simply that a MOOP item was located there. As we could not determine at that time if any one piece of MOOP was an outlier or an indication of overall lack of cleanup, and in order to make the process equitable to all, it was decided to simply mark each individual item that was found.
Even though we did a good job with LNT this year, it is apparent that we can do more. This is an early call for volunteers for Cleanup in 2017.
There are some cleanup tasks to do before Flipside 2017.
- Re-evaluate locations on 2016 MOOP Map for long term effect.
- Perform line sweeps at work weekend to determine if items were missed.
If you have any interest in helping during Burning Flipside 2017, please contact Xander at
Spring Town Hall: Unicorns Vs. Rainbows: The Reckoning
The Combustion Chamber would like to invite you to the Burning Flipside Spring-ish Town Hall! We’re shaking things up a bit again, and we hope you’ll like what we’ve done with the place.
Saturday, February 4th, at Lloyd the Burning Flipside Warehouse, 3106 Industrial Terrace. Tailgating starts at noon; Town Hall will start at 2:34 p.m.
Want to help make Town Hall go? Show up at eleven to help get things prepped and ready.
This year’s Town Hall will continue to use our New-ish and Improveder model. Time focused on the main stage will be short, roughly 30-45 minutes, including a presentation from our new DaFT lead.
We will continue to have booths set up for AAR LLC, The CC, our Area Facilitators, and Leads, and encourage each of you to interact with them to find out the information relevant to your Burning Flipside experience. Have a question about the budget? Go to the AAR, LLC booth and ask it! Want more information on volunteering for Parking? Go find the Genesis table and learn what you
need to know!
Theme camps are invited to come bring out their special brand of awesome tomfoolery beginning at noon.
Dress up, be fabulous, shake the winter off you, and learn about (and join!) the various departments that help make your event so marvelous.
The Combustion Chamber
Come see your friends, make some new ones, and learn all the ways you can participate.
Spread the Word! Tell Your Friends! Notify Your Camp mates!
Spring Town Hall
Saturday, February, 4, 2017
At Lloyd the Warehouse
3106 Industrial Terrace
Austin, TX 78758