Good day, producers of human excrement, urine, & other such bodily discharges worthy of release into a nearby port-o-potty.
Flipside Ongoing Educational Program regarding Proper Port-a-Potty Etiquette wants to remind you:
- Please close the lid to keep smells down.
- Sitters, please sit on the seat. Hovering leaves a mess for the next person, causing them to sit in your fluids in the dark (Yuck!) &/or increases the unneeded use of additional toilet paper.
- If it doesn’t come out of your body, it doesn’t belong in the port-o-potty. Part of radical self-reliance means you are in charge of your trash. Trash is hard to clean out of the potties & can ruin the relationship with our port-a-potty vendor. Take trash such as tampons, pads, their wrappers, etc back to your trash can at your camp.
A word about the differently abled. If you know of someone in your camp or elsewhere who may need a bit more space to get the doody done, please contact the sanitation department. Please let us know near what camp or area where the individual will be & we will work to get a larger potty closer to where it is needed.
This started a few years ago & amazing gifts to the community have shown up each year. Choose a potty or a bank of potties & create an art piece in the potty, around the potty, or what have you. It’s all for shits & giggles anyways and there will be an art contest. The winner will receive a trophy!
Keep in mind the following when you choose to decorate:
- Painters tape or gaff tape is best for hanging things because it does not leave a sticky residue. If you do use something that leaves a residue, please be sure to clean it off before you leave the grounds.
- Hang material whenever possible using zip ties, string or what have you, just make sure whatever you use will not damage the potty structure in any way.
- Paper prints or what have you fair better between cleanings when placed in sheet protectors, when laminated, or when covered by clear tape, so please keep this possibility open if possible.
- All decorations must be above waist level for cleaning purposes.
Remember to remove all decorations before you leave the grounds.
- If decorating outside, please keep in mind possible weather issues that may create MOOP.
- Should you choose to decorate, please clean up any decorations before leaving the event.
- Suggestions for potty pleasantry: hand sanitizer, signs with reminders of potty etiquette, feminine products, etc
And, in light of the wonderfully amazing soul who recently left us with the (among many others) legacy of Burning Man, Mr. Larry Harvey, might I suggest a few dedicated decorated potties in his honor? What does Burning Man mean to you? How has it changed your life? What amazing art have you seen or created, what experiences have you had, & what enlightenment have you gained by being a part of this wonderful community? Stories, photos, quotes? Share your amazing experiences with us please.