We interrupt our regularly scheduled programming to bring you a Special Announce Message! Important things happen when they happen, regardless of scheduling attempts. For instance, we have two big items that need to be distributed. They came up after November’s Announce message went out, and they really need to be seen before the December Announce message. So, without any further ado:
NO! Don’t you see? Burning Flipside needs an EFFIGY!
If you have a strong opinion or a grand vision about what Pyropolis should build and burn in ‘016, and you’ve got the time, crew, and plan for how to do it, now’s the time to tell us!
First we are calling for letters of interest. If you want to put together an effigy proposal, create a basic outline of that proposal and submit it to us. Once we have received the letters of interest, we will then begin the second round, where the interested parties will be given more information and asked to produce fully fleshed-out effigy
Your letter of interest is due in twelve days – by 11:59 pm on Nov 22nd!
(Those who make the second round will be informed of the date their final proposals are due.)
Being a DaFT lead means you’re responsible for designing the effigy and leading the build team to create the Flipside Effigy, both during pre-event and on-site. You don’t necessarily need to be a professional engineer, architect, or carpenter. However, these skills certainly help. We suggest you seek advice from experienced builders and project
leaders, should you need assistance or advice. It’s a challenge, but don’t be scared! Be a rockstar! Lead DaFT!
Don’t wait till it’s too late! The DaFT (Design and Fabrication Team) Selection Committee is here to help! Prior to the deadline, feel free to show (one or all of) us what you’ve got! Pick our brains! We’re all ex-DaFT leads, so we’ll be able to give you real insight into how to (or not to) build, delegate, lift, bolt, screw, nail, cut, ShopBot, beat-to-fit, transport, budget, burn, and otherwise DO the effigy things.
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
From all of us at the DSC, happy designing!
Jic, Beth, Dave, Chainsaw, Dotti, Krahnik, Lance, Kaleb
Call for Sticket Designs
Hey Flipizens! Would you like two free tickets to Flipside 2016?
And did you know that designing the art for the ticket or the sticker is actually the only way to get TWO free tickets to Flipside?!? Leads, volunteers, even LLC members, pay for their tickets.
Design the Flipside ticket or sticker and submit your design today! The person who submits the winning STICKER design will get TWO free tickets to Flipside 2016. The person who submits the winning TICKET design will also receive TWO free tickets to Flipside 2016.
Keep in mind all designs must be original. No clip art, and positively NO copywritten material may be used. The designs can be created digitally or by hand. You must follow the specifications listed below, or your design could be disqualified.
So break out your pen, marker, crayon or stylus and get the ideas flowing. Hand-drawn submissions are perfectly fine, but must be delivered before the deadline: 10 pm Friday January 29, 2016.
Submit your designs or any questions to Rufus & SuzyQ at stickets16@BurningFlipside.com
We will positively confirm every submission we receive, so if you do not receive a confirmation within a few days, please email us back, and we will confirm receipt.
Burning Flipside will do its best to include all submitted designs, in some form of hype, the survival guide, or the website, so your art should get seen. When you submit you are implicitly giving permission for us to use your design – on the ticket or sticker, on the Burning Flipside website, or in the Survival Guide. If for some reason you do not want to give this permission, please specify that when you submit. Also please indicate how you would like your art to be credited.
TICKET Design Details:
Please include the following information within your Ticket design:
May 26-30, 2016
Please do not post or display your ticket design anywhere else until after the contest ends. (The artist for the winning ticket design will be asked to refrain from posting it anywhere until after the event.)
- Artwork should be 2.375 x 4.375 inches.
- 1/8 inch all around WILL BE CUT OFF creating a final size of 2.125 x 4.125 – this extra space is called bleed.
- Artwork should be CMYK.
- Artwork should be supplied at 100% as either vector based art (Illustrator or Inkscape) or at 300dpi if it is a Photoshop file.
- If Photoshop – .tif, .eps, .psd and .jpeg files are preferred. Please save jpeg files with “maximum quality”.
Tips for successful reproduction of your design:
- Do not place text too close to the edge of your design. It should be 1/8″ in on either side once the artwork is trimmed. Pick fonts that will be easy to read and try to not use a font that is really thin on a dark background. It will “plug-up” and be hard to read.
- Do not get too complex, it is often easier to create artwork at a larger size and reduce it down. Keep in mind what it will look like at the smaller size.
- If you create your art in layers, be sure and save that layered file just in case the printer needs anything altered – this will make it easier on them and you.
STICKER Design Details:
Please include at least the following information within your Sticker design:
- Sticker Art should cover a 2.5″ circle at 300dpi.
- Make your design simple! Intricate and super-fine lines (less than 1-pt) tend to dry up in the screen and will not show up on the sticker. (For your reference, 1pt lines are roughly the same size as what a medium ball point pen will draw. It is a good idea to keep important elements of your artwork at least 1/8″ from the edge of the sticker to allow for cutting. Serifed fonts can be a nightmare – especially at small point sizes. Set all type to at LEAST 10 points.)
- In the past we’ve only printed black and white stickers, or another color and white. Grayscale or gradients are a real pain and don’t print very well, so try to stick to solid colors. All halftones are screened at 55 lpi.
We look forward to seeing the designs as they come in. It is an incredible outpouring from this intensively creative community! It’s a pleasure to serve as your sticket team.
If you have any questions, just let us know.
Your Flipside 2016 Sticker/Ticket Selection Team,
Rufus + SuzyQ
We now return you to your regularly scheduled mayhem. Carry on!