We’re only a month away from the end of 2016, but planning is well underway for Burning Flipside 2017: Unicorns vs. Rainbows: The Reckoning. Important dates are being settled, and the gears of the burning machine are starting to turn. If you have a hankering to get involved, there a lots of ways to participate. This event doesn’t work without everyone’s PARTICIPATION. Read on for more ways to contribute!
For more info, stay tuned to:
- Flipside Flame
- Announce email list
- Burning Flipside Calendar
- official Burning Flipside Facebook Page
- @BurningFlipside on Twitter
Remember, if you have something you’d like to contribute to the Flame or Announce, use Flipside Flame/Announce Submission page to send it in. Announce tends to be at the beginning of the month, and Flames usually get published around the middle of the month. Get me the info at least a week before then, and I’ll do my best to get your contribution included.
Ticket Window Dates Posted
Every year, there is a window of opportunity in which participants can mail in their ticket requests. Those dates have been finalized! After creating your ticket request, it’s time to decorate your envelope (utterly optional, but totally fun), get your payment together (less fun, but completely mandatory), and get your requests in the mail from January 6 through January 20. It’s pretty straightforward, so start saving your pennies and planning your envelopes! We’ll post more about the ticket opening as the details become available.
Combustion Chamber Meeting
Monday, December 5th is the last CC meeting of the year, and the only one scheduled around the holidays. Start time is 7:42 PM. Safe Travels. Celebrate this season in the manner most joyous to you.
What we will be discussing:
- LLC Update
- Regionals Update
- Operational Update
- Paid/comp staff:Should Flipside have any paid staff? Should Flipside comp volunteers with tickets, etc, as some other events do?
- CC business
Who Can/Should Attend: You! If you care about the event and especially if you care about any of these topics you should come to discuss them.
Why this matters: The CC provides advice to the LLC. The LLC provides the overall direction and policy guidance that end up making the event happen. The topics discussed at this meeting may have a direct impact on you during the actual Flipside event and/or at the AAR, LLC warehouse.
CC meetings are a great way to stay informed about what’s happening in our community. Meeting minutes will be posted as they are received. Thanks for your patience.
Want to read the Minutes of the CC meetings?
What is the Combustion Chamber or CC?
Do you have some questions about CC meetings?
If you don’t find your answer in the FAQ above, please email us. We like answering questions. Contact us at
Combustion Chamber Mixer
We are pleased to invite you to attend the Rainbow Unicorn Holiday Summit.
This event is a gathering of thoughtful, iconoclastic doers from around the world who share a common interest in practical and farcical solutions for the Rainbow v. Unicorn controversy. Our vision is ambitious, which is nothing less than to listen to our community members discuss the importance of unicorns, rainbows and all other compelling community topics, while enjoying the chill and consuming tasty treats. The event will take place at the heart of Burning Flipside community, Lloyd the Warehouse, on December 12th, at 7:42pm. We encourage you to celebrate our diversity in costume. As always, this event is BYOB & LNT.
Your Combustion Chamber
Combustion Chamber Needs New Members
Do enjoy listening to/discussing/debating the finer points of Community with your friends/campmates/fellow burners? Would you enjoy communicating about crucial matters in this community all year long? Do you know someone
else who fits this description?
The Burning Flipside Combustion Chamber (CC) is the communication conduit between the Community and the event organizers (aka AAR, LLC), and acts as the Burning Flipside organization’s advisory body. The CC meets typically
every other Monday evening for approximately two hours, at the Austin warehouse.
The Combustion Chamber currently seeks new members to renew and diversify its ranks. Submit your application or nomination!
The deadline for submissions is Friday, December 16th, 2016, 11:59 P.M.
Interested in seeing the CC in action? Regular CC meetings are open to participation of all Community members. Our next meeting is Monday, December 5th, 7:42pm, at Lloyd the Warehouse, 3106 Industrial Terrace, Austin, Texas. At this meeting we’ll be discussing Paid/Comp Staff.
Your Combustion Chamber
Would you like free tickets to Flipside 2017: Unicorns vs. Rainbows: The Reckoning?
And did you know that designing the ticket or the sticker is actually the only way to get free tickets to Flipside?!? Leads, volunteers, even LLC members, pay for their tickets.
Design the Flipside ticket or sticker and submit your design today! The person who submits the winning STICKER design will get TWO free tickets to Flipside 2017. The person who submits the winning TICKET design will also receive TWO free tickets to Flipside 2017.
Keep in mind all designs must be original. No clip art, and no copy written material may be used. The designs can be created digitally or by hand.
So break out your pen, marker, crayon or stylus and get the ideas flowing. Hand-drawn submissions are perfectly fine, but must be delivered before the deadline: 10 pm Monday January 30, 2017.
Submit your designs or any questions at
We will positively confirm every submission we receive, so if you do not receive a confirmation within a few days, please email us back, and we will confirm receipt.
Please do not post or display your Ticket or Sticker design anywhere else until after the contest ends. (The artist for the winning ticket design will be asked to refrain from posting it anywhere until after the event.)
Burning Flipside will do its best to include all submitted designs, in some form of hype, the survival guide, or the website, so your art should get seen. When you submit you are implicitly giving permission for us to use your design – on the ticket or sticker, on the Burning Flipside website, or in the Survival Guide. If for some reason you do not want to give this permission, please specify that when you submit. Also please indicate how you would like your art to be credited.
TICKET Design Details
Please include the following information within your Ticket design:
- Burning Flipside
- Unicorns vs. Rainbows: The Reckoning
- May 25-29, 2017
Keep these things in mind:
- Artwork should be 2.375 x 4.375 inches.
- 1/8 inch all around WILL BE CUT OFF creating a final size of 2.125 x 4.125 – this extra space is called bleed.
- Artwork should be CMYK.
- Artwork should be supplied at 100% as either vector based art (illustrator or freehand) or at 300dpi if it is a Photoshop file.
- If Photoshop – .tif, .eps, .psd and .jpeg files are preferred. Please save jpeg files with “maximum quality”.
Tips for successful reproduction of your design:
- You must pay attention to specs, or you could be disqualified.
- Do not place text too close to the edge of your design. It should be 1/8″ in on either side once the artwork is trimmed. Pick fonts that will be easy to read and try to not use a font that is really thin on a dark background. It will “plug-up” and be hard to read.
- Do not get too complex, it is often easier to create artwork at a larger size and reduce it down. Keep in mind what it will look like at the smaller size.
- If you create your art in layers, be sure and save that layered file just in case the printer needs anything altered – this will make it easier on them and you.
STICKER Design Details
Please include at least the following information within your Sticker design:
- Flipside 2017
Tips for successful reproduction of your design:
- Submit in black and white (or another color and white). But not multiple colors for the sticker.
- Sticker Art should cover a 2.5″ circle at 300dpi.
- Make your design simple! Intricate and super-fine lines (less than 1-pt) tend to dry up in the screen and will not show up on the sticker. For your reference, 1pt lines are roughly the same size as what a medium ball point pen will draw. It is a good idea to keep important elements of your artwork at least 1/8″ from the edge of the sticker to allow for cutting. Serifed fonts can be a nightmare – especially at small point sizes. Set all type to at LEAST 10 points.
- In the past we’ve only printed black and white stickers. Grayscale or gradients are a real pain and don’t print very well, so try to stick to solid colors. If you want to submit a two or three color image, that’s fine and it will be reviewed, but (depending on cost) it may end up being converted into black and white. All halftones are screened at 55 lpi.
Have fun! good luck! We look forward to seeing the designs as they come in. It is an incredible outpouring from this intensively creative community! It’s a pleasure to serve as your STicket team.
If you have any questions, just let us know at
Your Flipside 2017 Sticker/Ticket Selection Team